Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lighthunter80
Regular MemberPosts: 292Gear list
Like?
New Canon 6D, potential shutter issue, opinion needed
3 months ago

I got my brand new 6D last Thursday and had now some time to test it out. I went here in Sydney to the "Winter Wonder Land" after 5pm so it was already dark. I took some pictures of a light installation and found something I never saw with my 5d2 before.

When I shoot at high shutter speeds many images seem to show a shadow from the shutter. The first example was one of the few where the image looked fine. Then I took a series of about 10 more and almost all of them showed this shadow (see below).

1/2000s | f2.8 | ISO1600

1/2000s | f3.5 | ISO1600

1/2000s | f3.2 | ISO1600

1/2000s | f2.8 | ISO1600

I did some tests with much slower shutter speeds like 1/320 or 1/200 and lower ISO and they all were fine. So my theory is that the lights installed 'blink' at a specific frequency like 60hz and with my super fast shutter speeds I simply didn't sync the shutter with the light source frequency. Only longer exposures have enough time to render a fully exposed picture without this half dark frame (?).

I then went back to the train and shot some fast shutter speeds there just to check if I can replicate it. I shot at least 20 images at 1/4000 and ISO6400 but I could not a single time replicate the problem. See below one example (I could add many more but they all looked fine).

1/4000s | f1.4 | ISO6400

Could it be that in the train station are so many different light sources that they all mix up to a very homogeneous light source that would not show the effect from above caused by the flickering frequency?

Again, art slower shutter speeds I have never seen any problem. Pretty much only high shutter speeds and artificial light causes my problem. I haven't noticed this ever with my 5D2 but perhaps simple because I never shot it with 1/2000 at night.... now the 6D has such good high ISO capabilities that lets me choose these ludicrous settings.

Please let me know your opinion if I should let my cam check or if the described above is within normal behaviour.

lighthunter80's gear list:lighthunter80's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow