ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114Gear list
Like?
XT1 - Focus Peaking accuracy latitude?
2 weeks ago

Hi,

I shot quite a few pix this afternoon to compare some adapted MF  lenses by taking a series of shots through their aperture range.  When I did this last, I used magnified view and got good results.  On this occasion, I tried focus peaking (FP) and simply trusted it to indicate focus in a tight landscape situation with a focusing distance of about 10-12 metres.  However, I found when I got home that they were not at all sharp at maximum aperture.  I know full well that the lenses concerned can do much better.  Although the subsequent images sharpened up as I stopped down, I now have to assume that at least some of that is due to DOF and not the inherent characteristics of the lens.  In other words I've got to do it again :-(.

I've only previously played with FP and not tried it for critical focus in practice.  I'm now thinking that maybe the DOF at maximum aperture is still deep enough that the FP color is highlighted though a small range of distance and that that range is wider than critical focus.  If I'm correct in this, it suggests that FP is likely to be more useful at close range, where the DOF is shallower, and less useful, perhaps even deceptive, at longer range where the DOF is deeper.  Certainly magnified view gave me better results than FP at a distance of 10 metres.

Anyone else share this experience?  Or like to comment?

I suppose that if focus is really critical, a test shot, chimp and zoom-in is the answer.  Wiser next time.

Thanks,

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow