Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Smoking Camera
Senior MemberPosts: 1,488Gear list
Like?
70-300CX Shoots People
5 months ago

Today I attended an outdoors Korean Festival and indoors Japanese Hula Show. First of all I wouldn't normally use the 70-300CX at these events. However, sometimes its useful to push a new piece of equipment outside its comfort zone and I happened to have the lens in my bag so decided to give it a go. And normally I wouldn't post these photos but I changed my mind to show how a handheld 70-300CX captures people under quite diverse conditions with the Nikon V3.

The Korean Festival was in the middle of the day mostly under direct sunlight - very harsh lighting. Consequently I tried to shoot in the shade or into the sun. The Japanese Hula Show was indoors with minimal diffused outdoor light mixed with a bit of stage lighting. I had to bump iso up to 3200 and 6400 because the lens is just not fast enough. I did apply a little noise reduction to the indoor shots.

The first eleven are outdoors and the last five are indoors. I did take some full body shots but decided to limit the posting to head shots for the most part. Again, really nothing special - just more examples for those interested in this lens in something other than birds. I must say the lens is quite sharp and there is quite a bit of detail in the outdoor headshots even at 300mm. My main wish is Nikon make a constant f4 or f2.8 long zoom or a super fast long prime. Nevertheless, here you go.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow