Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Anton0329
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Lens and Sensor
2 weeks ago

Let me start by saying that I am not a professional photographer, just a keen amateur!

I was given a Sony A6000 some weeks ago, and then acquired the Sony18-105 f4 zoom as well as the SEL35F18. In my humble view this is a really nice camera / lens setup, and provides me with all I need for my purposes. Over the weekend I also took out my Pentax K20 and some of my legacy Pentax glass, such as a SMC135 f3.5 and SMC50 f1.8.

Much to my surprise, a visual comparison of sharpness (I use Lightroom 5.5 on an iMac) without any processing, suggests that in fact the Pentax produces images as sharp if not sharper than the Sony kit. Let me hasten to add that this does not matter to me, as for my purposes the Sony is more than adequate.

This set me wondering though whether in terms of digital technology we have reached the point where sensor technology is so well developed (and similar across various camera models) that we are effectively back to the "good old days" of film where the quality of glass was what really mattered. The issue for me is therefore not whether Pentax is better than Sony, or Canon better than Nikon, but rather one of what is the best glass for your photographic purposes.

Perhaps at some point the debates on DPReview will be as passionate about lenses as it currently is about "the best camera"?

Would love to get your perspectives also.

-- hide signature --

Anton

Anton0329's gear list:Anton0329's gear list
Sony RX100 Pentax K20D Sony a6000 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +7 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow