Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hokyungbenjaminbenlee
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
Do you own a film camera? Film-look vs Digital
2 months ago

I am currently analysing the 2013 version of the film "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" directed by Ben Stiller for my assignment. I was watching the behind the scene clips on YouTube and noticed that the Arri cameras they were using had film stocks attached to them. My quick research revealed that Ben Stiller did actually shoot the entire movie on film. I also found an article where Stiller talks about the reason why he shot on film.

“I shot the movie on film,” says Stiller on the phone from New York. “I don’t really like digital. What always strikes me, when you go to the postproduction process in the labs, is that what they’re trying to do with digital is simulate film anyway. I get it, why people want to shoot digital in terms of costs, but I’m old-fashioned.”

I think Stiller makes a good point in that a lot of times film-makers spend tremendous amount time and money trying to replicate the film-look in post-production. In my personal opinion, while digital-look is alright for high-definition still-photography, for moving-images, they are not as effective. I personally drop the contrast and sharpness by three stops on my camera to achieve the film-look.

I heard from many of the photographers that I need to get a film-camera to learn how to compose a shot properly. I know that developing a roll of 35mm film is painfully annoying these days (with a lot of developers disappearing) but I am thinking of acquiring a SLR camera and go old-school.

I just wanted to know if anyone in this forum prefers film-camera over their digital camera and could suggest me a 35mm film-camera?

hokyungbenjaminbenlee's gear list:hokyungbenjaminbenlee's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS LG G2 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow