So what should I buy instead of a Bigmos?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,935Gear list
Like?
So what should I buy instead of a Bigmos?
5 months ago

I shipped the Bigmos back to b&h yesterday. Hopefully they'll find it in sufficiently good condition. Now........ what should I buy instead?

• a 2nd gen Bigma, which might be just a minor upgrade from the Bigmos ($1600)
  • a DA* 300/4 and TC ($2000)
  • a Canon 400/5.6 L and a 70D, or maybe just a Rebel, to put behind it ($2500)
  • a 2nd gen Sony 70-400 and a SLT, or NEX + adapter, to put behind it ($3000)
  • a Sigma 500/4.5 ($5000)
  • a DA 560/5.6 ($7000, but starting to drop in some markets)
  • a 1.7x AFA with some ungainly franken-lens bodged onto the front ($?)
  • wait for the DA 100-400 ($?)

Ideally I'd like to have this lens upgrade by the end of the month, before I go on a birding boat trip to the Farrallones, but clearly that ain't gonna happen.

The only important criterion of judgment is sharpness in the center of the field of view, per dollar. Other lens qualities don't matter nearly as much. But I guess among the second criteria, weight is worth considering, and as a distant third, bokeh.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 70D Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow