Should I ask for permission?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
istreetshooter
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Re: Should I ask for permission?
In reply to Ozyxy, 5 months ago

Photojournalists do not need permission because the work serves a public good for not solely being commercial use. That's not to say others can't photograph and publish--but this helps to explain how photojournalists can publish without permission.

The requirements for contests vary because of purpose and organizers' fear of lawsuits. Photojournalism contests (e.g., NPPA or state photojournalism competitions) promote the craft. Some contests promote events, and an image of a person at an event may be deemed as promoting the event. In this latter case, a subject may have a case because their representation has been used to promote an event without their written consent.

Ozyxy wrote:

kmd0501 wrote:

1. It is my understanding that non-commercial use (including photo contests) of people in public places is OK, even without a model release.

Ethically, I think you are fine: you took a picture in a public place, the picture is your own work, so you should have the moral right to benefit from your own work, use it, show it to others, or enter contests.

For legal matters only a lawyer can provide an answer you can count on, and I'm not a lawyer, but my feeling is that if photojournalists don't need to ask for permission then you should be OK. Photojournalists also put their photos in competitions.

If the photo contest organizer wants to use the photo in an advertisement for a product they sell and they ask you whether you have a signed model release from their parents, just tell them you didn't ask for one. Make sure the contests' rules don't specify that they accept only pictures taken with permission.

I would appreciate input on the suitability of entering this picture.

Let's Go!

The picture is wonderful, maybe just increase the brightness by 1/3. The only problem is that you cut a little bit one of the girls' head, but the picture is still wonderful.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow