Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rick Evertsz
Regular MemberPosts: 227Gear list
Like?
Rx100m3: LR5.5 vs DXO 9.5.1 vs PhotoNinja 1.0.4c vs JPG
1 month ago

I took this shot of my son the other evening, lit only by the changing light of the TV screen. It was pretty dark. I quickly processed it in Lightroom (luminance NR=70, sharpness=40) and was very pleased with the result, given that it's ISO 6400 and such a small sensor. Yes, it's a little soft, but I think it's ok for this subject, and the softness may have something to do with it being 1/30s at 70mm, ISO 6400, and the overall very dim lighting.

The RX100m3 DXO module just came out, so I was curious to try it on this photo using PRIME NR. Unfortunately, it's pretty blotchy (standard NR isn't any better). I spent a lot of time messing around with parameters but couldn't do better than this. I then used an old copy of Photo Ninja, which I had discarded in favour of DXO Optics Pro 9 a while back. For interest, I've also included a crop of the in-camera JPG (I shot RAW+JPEG). High ISO NR was set to LOW for the JPG. The NR artefacts in the JPG are pretty nasty.

I'm not very skilled at processing high ISO RAW files, so I'm not sure what conclusions can be drawn here. I've found that DXO does very well in general (on A700 and RX100m1 RAW files); just not so good on this photo for some reason. I really like the grain in the LR version and how it transitions in the shadow areas. Makes for a nice B&W conversion.

I'm posting here because I thought this would be of interest to anyone using the RX100m3 in low light. I've included a link to the RAW file in case anyone wants to investigate further.

http://rick.evertsz.name/downloads/dpr/DSC00713.ARW

Downsized pic

Lightroom crop

DXO crop

PhotoNinja crop

In-camera JPG crop

Rick Evertsz's gear list:Rick Evertsz's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha 7S Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony FE 55mm F1.8
RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow