Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,392
Like?
New resident on my farm
1 month ago

A family of otters has moved into the creek that cuts through my farm in KY. They were once prevalent here, but had been pretty much wiped out by excessive trapping by 1900. KY Fish & Game restocked them several years ago, trading wild turkeys to Missouri for otters. It has taken a few years for them to work their way from the river a mile away to my place, but they're definitely here now, and have made themselves quite at home.

They are fairly shy, so they're hard to get near, but I caught them early in the morning with the EM1 and 50-200. Shot from about 50 meters away at ISO800 and fairly low shutter speeds, plus a tree was in the way, so the quality wasn't the absolute best, but catching these elusive critters at all is an accomplishment.

Here is the mom... the early morning sky reflection adds a nice touch...

Munching on a crawfish, one of their favorite foods.

And how did I know she was the mom? She had four young ones with her. The fourth one was still playing in the water. They were moving far too quickly in the water to catch at lower shutter speeds. Really quite acrobatic when they're swimming.

She was trying to teach them to hunt for crawfish, but they were more interested in playing otter games with each other. It's some solace to know that parents face similar issues with their children, regardless of species.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow