ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phil_t
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
K-3 Manual - Worst (or Wittiest) Ever?
3 weeks ago

"brevity is the soul of wit" Shakespeare's Hamlet

"I just paid $1,200 for this camera. Do you actually expect me to read the manual?"

Apparently, Ricoh doesn't expect us to either. Or perhaps they have turned over DLSR manuals to the point and shoot documentation team.

I have been enjoying my new K-3, and relying on experience with three prior generations of Pentax DLSRs plus the K-01 and Qs to bootstrap the learning process. After reading MightyMike's recent post (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3697581?page=5#forum-post-54007989) in which he described his issues with the K-3 SR operation and panning, I decided to review the contents of the K-3 manual to be prepared for my next outing to the race track.

What I found was rather off putting. For reference,the user K-5 manual is 383 pages and contains four pages of information and tips on using (or not using) SR.

The K-3 manual is 112 pages (yes, it is double column per page, buy that's still 40% shorter). The sole index reference to SR is the single line to it's location in the menus on P. 19.  Other references refer to incidental uses of the SR mechanism (AA filter simulation, et al)

How would the rest of us know how SR and other features actually operate if it weren't for the members of this forum sharing their knowledge?

Dear Pentax, step up you game.

Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow