First day with 70-300mm CX VR in Florida (w/V3)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,160Gear list
Like?
First day with 70-300mm CX VR in Florida (w/V3)
2 months ago

I think Nikon is on to something. A lot of telephoto users are looking at lighter weight alternatives, everyone does. The main thing is compromise.

With all systems, one has to pick their poison, per say :

- Compromise in High ISO grain, but with the latest iteration , the V3 its a tad better.

- Loss of shadow detail.

- Compromise in high magnification on telephotos. For example the M4/3 system, it only goes to 600mm in native lenses. But with the new lens Nikon goes over 800mm Focal length.

- Mushiness or watercolor images, with "do-it-all superzooms"  like the Canon, Nikons, Sony's etc. smaller sensors, longer magnifications - great portability. Here super zooms win with ranges that go from 20mm to 1200mm.

I believe Nikon needs to explore this angle , nature, birders, biologists, etc. with more telephotos, macros, etc.

Anyway I finally got the 70-300mm CX lens, I got it from Nikon, apparently they are the only ones selling them, as they have not sent hardly any to dealers. So they are making more profit by selling direct to the consumer. Bummer for brick and mortar camera stores.

I was surprised on the weight of the lens - heavy for its size, its quite small. The zoom is not that smooth, but the optics are quite good, actually, excellent should be the word to describe it. I compared the following:

Sony Cybershot DSC-HX400V, Nikon D5300 w/ 500mm Vr Nikkor and the V3 w/70-300mm lens.

This quick comparison I shot yesterday under the rain.

shot a bench with all 3 cameras with close focal lengths

The Nikon V3 didn't do bad at all (sony left, D5300 center, V3 right)

obviously this was a first fast test, I really done for myself not for sharing. As I said, I have some mistakes in the test and they are handheld against my car. So take it for what is worth.

Today I had a better chance to take some photos with the 70-300mm CX and I am quite impressed with the sharpness.

bokeh is a little nervous for a 800mm.

pretty good close up possibilities, nice bokeh here.

very impressed with technology, sensors are getting so much better. Lenses? wow, this new Nikon lens is quite nice, its a keeper !!

I apologize if someone thinks this comparison is flawed or incorrect, I just posted it because someone might like it.

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow