Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,197Gear list
Like?
Cybershot DSC-HX400V review - after one day of testing
5 months ago

Hello ! decided to post this since I see very little reviews of this camera. I own a variety of cameras and brands, I have no loyalty at all, have been a photographer for 30+ years. I owned a Canon SX40 that I sold , but I wanted an all in one compact camera, friends of mine have the HX300 and have seen great shots.

- The camera size and heft is good, some dials feel cheap, the grip is great.

- the shutter lag is very short, wow, what a difference versus the Canon SX40, I like this.

- the zoom is noisy and amazing range, one of the reasons of buying it. I know there are some cameras with larger range and bigger sensor ones with shorter range, all is a compromise. With that thought in mind I decided to buy and test it, compare it against my other equipment.

What a better way than with photos to review the camera.

I kind of expected a little better flare control than this

start up is quite acceptable , so you are ready to shoot quite fast

The camera has a fanstastic macro capability, however it is on its wide angle side, so your deph of field is tremendous but hard to isolate the subject

with a close up filter and manual focus assist should be great for macro !

you can't get too close in telephoto settings but I guess good enough.

The stabilization and super tele reach are very good

High ISO is not very good, not if you like to pixel peep, but if you keep in under ISO 800 you are ok !

Subject isolation due to long focal length is possible, still have some deph of field due to small sensor, which in this case helps.

I think I am going to have fun with Macros !

The main issues it when you pixel peep you see watercolors, a lot of softness. For normal vacations photos, internet postings , is just fine, perhaps even 11x14's . I would have preferred to sony give me grain than watercolors, me thinks. Got to keep on playing, so far it is a keeper, a nice camera for my collection.

The screen is beautiful but the built in EVF is very small, I hope I can buy a aftermarket magnifying lens or something, I will need it.

If you have any questions let me know. Best regards,

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Bobby Handal's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
mediocre
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
okay
= community average
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow