Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
riplarch
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Canon 50D vs Olympus E30
1 week ago

I need some honest help.  Several months ago, I inherited a nice (NICE!) collection of Canon lenses--24mm, 100mm and 300mm primes, and several zooms.

I have been an Olympus shooter for years, currently using the E30, and have a fairly nice collection of lenses and accessories.  I am a serious hobbyist, often making large (20-30") enlargements.  I have been satisfied, but not thrilled, with the quality of the E30 (honestly, I liked the E-500 almost as well), except in the high ISO areas (I know the 4/3 pluses and minuses--no need to reharsh that here).

I bought a used 50D after reading reviews, thinking I would sell the Oly gear and move forward with Canon.  Problem is, I honestly cannot see a marked difference in image quality--not enough to justify anything.

Can anyone enlighten me?  Again, no need to re-harsh the 4/3 lack of lenses, sensor size, etc..  This is about REAL world shooting and even pixel peeping.  The Canon lenses are red-line, IS lenses, so I think I am using good stuff.  I did shoot the lenses on a newer model just to check them, with no "shocking" improvement.

A meek call for help!

Canon EOS 50D Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow