ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ocean76
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
camera softwares vs Lightroom
2 months ago

Hi to you all,

I have been a Nikon user (still love my d5100) for the last 8 years and I have just purchased a new Canon eos 6d for it's outsatnding image quality and low light capacity..
Although I could not find time to shoot more than a few photos, I am very very happy and excited that I own this magnificent camera, it is a dream come true for me..

With this new 6d I have a problem (which I also have with my existing d5100..)
I always shoot raw and love to have the original colors from the camera.
So I use the camera software (DPP for oes ofcourse) for displaying my photos.
But I also love all the features and easiness of LR and my problem starts right here:

1) because I don't want to lose the original colors from my canon camera at all, I must use the DPP software for my raw conversion. So I do and I convert my cr2 files to 16 bit tiff files to open them in LR for the future pp.

2) but then I lose some of the most important features that LR offers such as WB setting and I believe some others either???
and this is exactly what I want to learn from you:
in LR5, if I start my pp with 16 bit tiff files instead of raw files, which features of LR am I losing besides the WB adjustment?
a) in terms of dynamic range, do I lose the potantial of the raw file?
what is the comparison between a tiff file and a raw file in terms of DR?
(I mean when I convert the raw file to tiff file, do I lose any of the dynamic range of the photo?)

b) what about the shadows&highlights and blacks&whites adjustments?

in short when I use LR5, what is the disadvantage of using the tiff file for the pp instead of the raw file?
as I said earlier, if I had not preferred the original colors from the camera I would happily skip the original camera softwares (like view nx2, dpp) and just use LR from the beginning but this is sth I really don't want to sacrifice. (and as you know the color difference between the camera softwares and LR is so big)
pls tell me if I am wrong on my workflow, (converting the cr2 to tiff and then open it inLR5 and start to do the pp), or is there a better approach for my target..
this is sth I can not solve for so many years,

thx in advance

Melih

Canon EOS 6D Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow