Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
local novice
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
How far we have come: Photography from 1911 to M43
5 months ago

I love to read the threads on this forum as people discuss the relative technical merits of different bodies, lens, accessories and sensor formats.  Certainly every point of view has it's merits.  One of my projects is to save family genealogy records.  Particularly old photographs.  I recently found a picture of my paternal great grandfather taken ca 1911-12.  I cleaned it up and ran it through Nik silver Efex pro. for an old photo scanned, i was impressed with the skill of the photographer.  This was taken in a studio on the island of Maui.  Today we are blessed with accurate AF, artifical lighting , sharp lenses etc.  it gives one a perspective when we you think of all the modern equipment we have.  This isn't M43 in particular but a meditation on photography in general.  I hope this is of interest to some of you.

My great grandfather on the right and my grandfather standing next to him.

the orignal photo run through Silver Efex pro.

I tried to research how a portrait photo would have been taken at that time but came up empty.  Any insight or knowledge would be appreciated.

local novice's gear list:local novice's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow