Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wombat661
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
APS-C DSLR vs APS-C Mirrorless Weight
5 months ago

I wanted to discuss going from APS-C DSLR to APS-C sensor size mirrorless camera, and what the advantage is.

The last post  I started got out of hand with many people jumping in to talk about Micro 4/3 format. Perhaps due to mis-understanding. But hardly anything was discussed about merits of APS-C sized mirrorless camera. Then the post hit the count limit with a tangent towards why Micro 4/3 cameras are great.

Modified from the last post for clarity. Here is the graph of APS-C sized sensor camera. DSLR vs Mirrorless weights.

APS-C DSLR Camera Weight vs APS-C Mirrorless Weight

Exact same as last post, zoom lens weights.

APS-C DSLR Zoom Lens Weight vs. APS-C Mirrorless Zoom Lens Weight

Some people talked about advantage of prime lens. Did some more digging and here is a prime lens chart. There are not many DSLR prime lens that are for APS-C. Therefore, the chart below compare APS-C mirrorless with Full Frame DSLR prime lens.

Even with uneven comparison, the DSLR full frame prime lens is about the same weight as the smaller APS-C mirrorles prime lens weight once you get past about 45mm. Lower than 45mm, mirrorless definitely have an advantage. At least when compared with full frame DSLR.

Full Frame DSLR Prime Lens Weight vs APS-C Mirrorless Prime Lens Weight

My conclusion:

Mid range APS-C camera: Sony A6000 is lighter than equivalent D5300 DSLR. Difference is 136g (4.8oz) A smallish apple is already 6oz for comparison.

Fast zoom lens: APS-C DSLR and mirrorless fast zoom lens are almost neck to neck even in weight. Slight advantage to mirrorless. Exception is 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 zoom lens. Mirrorless there is very light and small, but 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 is almost exactly the same. Funny that 2mm makes a big weight difference.

Prime lens: At wide angle, APS-C mirrorless absolutely has an advantage, but after 45mm, weight is about the same.

I normally use fast zoom lens, so going to APS-C mirrorless would not make much weight difference. For max weight advantage, I would go with the best case 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 lens, but there you are still only saving 3oz for the lens or total 7.8oz with camera. That would be the weight of an apple. That is not that significant.

If I go the prime lens route, I would save more on wide angle prime lens, but then I would be carrying a large kit anyway. So I still don't see any significant benefit with APS-C mirrorless. What do you see as the advantage of going from APS-C DSLR to APS-C mirrorless. Convince me why.

Ground rules:

This post is NOT about Micro 4/3.

This post is NOT to convince people to go with Micro 4/3.

Thanks

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow