Would you have been happy with 10MP?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Simon97
Senior MemberPosts: 2,362Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you have been happy with 10MP?
In reply to chimphappyhour, 3 months ago

I've yet seen any high pixel count small sensor device that does well in available light. All I ever see is the hazy washed vale of too much effort to hide the noise from these tiny sensors.

I bought a camera with a BSI 16MP sensor and end up using it at 8MP setting as it is just too poor at full resolution, especially indoor shots.

My J1 is relief from the compact sensor problem. I really like the camera except the JPEGs it produces. Sharpness set mid range and pictures have too much halo around edges. Set it low and pictures are very soft that they look out of focus. RAW is another story. This camera makes beautiful RAW pictures out of the camera with Raw Therapee and the Amaze demosaic algorithm.

And then there's my old 6MP Pentax K110D (long gone) when I look at its pictures they just have that certain acuity to the images that sets it above my J1. Even the JPEGs look nice when zoomed in 100%.

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot A800 Nikon 1 J1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow