Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,666Gear list
Like?
So Here's My Dilemma
5 months ago

I can't seem to decide without hesitation on which camera to get. I just sold off a complete Fuji X-T1 and lens setup, which quite frankly I found pretty amazing. I did that mainly to raise some funds due to unemployment. Now I have some savings but am looking to replace and have been pineing over the loss of that Fuji setup. I loved the color and lack of noise and overall performance was sufficient. Sure it's no focus speed demon and doesn't do video worth a darn.

As they say "with that said" I had some hands on today with the A77II and kit lens. I was mightily impressed (how could one not be). I found the noise, while not quite as low as the supposedly understated ISO's of the fuji, to be acceptable. I've also found that while 100% on screen is revealing, it is not reality once printed. More like 50% of the file size viewed on screen IS what would end up on a typical print due to interpolation and downsizing of the image and such.

The colors off the files of the Sony are just crazy dynamic and accurate to say the least. Definition and resolution are superb, although it will take some getting used to not getting quite the all encompassing depth of field on average as much is out of the depth of field when I seem to shoot (front to back mainly). I noted leaf detail  and mountain rock detail I've NEVER seen before. So now it has me thinking. I'll either replace the Fuji X-T1 and 18-55 and 55-200 lenses, or go for the Sony A77MkII with the 16-50 f2.8 Kit lens adding that wonderful 70-300G lens. So what are the prevailing opinions on this forum considering I'm preaching to the Sony choir. I'm interested to hear what ya'll have to say. I do think the Sony and those 2 lenses would be formidable to say the least offering much more than Canon and Nikon have to offer currently as they are living in the dark ages by comparison to the technology levied by the Sony. Keep in mind please don't go advising me on other lenses. Those are without question THE two I've settled on if I go that route as they meet my particular needs and quality without exceeding the budget. Fire away.....

-- hide signature --

Picturecode PhotoNinja, LightZone, Adobe Lightroom 5.4

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow