Zeiss 16-35 2.8 Discontinued ...? in US only?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AJPatell
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Zeiss 16-35 2.8 Discontinued ...? in US only?
1 week ago

Was just about to purchase the SAL1635Z but the Sony US site has taken down the entire product page. They still show it in their listing but clicking the link goes to a 'page not found' error.

Ran a general search on google and one retailer has already marked it as discontinued.

Tweeted Zeiss and Sony both about it or possible replacement. Zeiss responded with the usual 'can't talk about it either way' nonsense.

Called up Sony US and the rep confirmed it is discontinued and he shows no other info besides that.

This is a pivotal moment for us A-mount shooters. If they do not replace it with an improved mark ii model, then where does that leave us? However, since they just replaced the 70200 and rumors speak on a 135 w SSM replacement, I do hope a new model is on the horizon.

The problem is when. Especially when stocks of the current model are very low. I now have to decide on taking a chance and waiting for the as-of-now vapor mark ii... or buying the current one so late in its product stage. No doubt I would be happy with it, but it just stinks that a new model could be out shortly. Ugh...decisions, decisions...

P.S. I sent a blurb to SonyAlphaRumors about it to see if Andrea could dig up any dirt on the situation, but no reply or news posted yet.

As I posted this on dyxum, another poster mentioned that it is still active in Japan and may only be a US issue...hmm...

AJPatell's gear list:AJPatell's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +11 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow