Is there still a place for NIK extensions?

Started Jul 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,764Gear list
Is there still a place for NIK extensions?
Jul 10, 2014

Whenever there is a discussion here on the Fuji forum about RAW conversion software, some people seem to stick with LR because of the integration with PS and the NIK extensions.

I was wondering how many people still use this and for what?

I visited the retouching forum and there was this thread about Antelope canyon and NIK extensions. I must say that in this case I didn't like any of the NIK results, but of course a matter of taste, so I had a little dabble with the NIK software and had a play with the Silver Efex Pro to see whether I would use this regularely. These days I rarely use PS and if I do, it doesn't bother me to have to open a jpg separately in PS rather than having this smooth workflow where you can "edit in PS" didn't use it much when I used LR and guess wouldn't use it now either.

Had a play with a 14mm file that didn't do anything for me in colour, so thought why not try B/W. I might be getting old but can't decide whether this is actually any good or total boll****, my gut feeling is a short stroll to the bin, but drama there is alright in those B/W conversions ... HDR in NIK? Not my cup of tea at all, straight to the bin and Viveza? All a bit artificial for me.

Nevermind here is a B/W shot from one of those arches south of Torrey in Utah, converted in NIK Silver Efex and the High Detail Soft pre-set, colours altered to tone down the blue in the sky and the yellow in the arch.

Honestly I can't see myself using this very often, if at all, but was wondering what other people's results are, since this seems to be widely used.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow