Is there still a place for NIK extensions?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,981Gear list
Like?
Is there still a place for NIK extensions?
2 months ago

Whenever there is a discussion here on the Fuji forum about RAW conversion software, some people seem to stick with LR because of the integration with PS and the NIK extensions.

I was wondering how many people still use this and for what?

I visited the retouching forum and there was this thread about Antelope canyon and NIK extensions. I must say that in this case I didn't like any of the NIK results, but of course a matter of taste, so I had a little dabble with the NIK software and had a play with the Silver Efex Pro to see whether I would use this regularely. These days I rarely use PS and if I do, it doesn't bother me to have to open a jpg separately in PS rather than having this smooth workflow where you can "edit in PS" didn't use it much when I used LR and guess wouldn't use it now either.

Had a play with a 14mm file that didn't do anything for me in colour, so thought why not try B/W. I might be getting old but can't decide whether this is actually any good or total boll****, my gut feeling is a short stroll to the bin, but drama there is alright in those B/W conversions ... HDR in NIK? Not my cup of tea at all, straight to the bin and Viveza? All a bit artificial for me.

Nevermind here is a B/W shot from one of those arches south of Torrey in Utah, converted in NIK Silver Efex and the High Detail Soft pre-set, colours altered to tone down the blue in the sky and the yellow in the arch.

Honestly I can't see myself using this very often, if at all, but was wondering what other people's results are, since this seems to be widely used.

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow