Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Simon97
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383Gear list
Like?
Would you have been happy with 10MP?
5 months ago

It seems Nikon is pushing forth with the megapixel race in the N1 system. To me, it seems a marketing move to get the V3 in the same pixel league of other brands and even SLRs. While I'm not a big fan of the DXO rating system, the V3 is behind even the J1/V1 perhaps because of this "pixel push". Some reviews have shown the V3's dynamic range to be lower than the 10MP N1 models due to the smaller photosites. It seems to me the pixel count should be kept lower as the overall sensor area is decreased. For example an APS-C sensor has a much larger area, so can withstand being 24MP. The 1" sensor is perhaps better suited for 12mp max (or higher for the BSI ones). Even Sony's 1" BSI sensor falls short compared to APS-C.

For me, once cameras got to the 6 to 10 MP range, they were quite capable photo instruments. I was content with the 10MP sensor in the N1. So, tossing out other nuances of image quality just for more resolution doesn't make sense to me.

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot A800 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 S1
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow