Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
wansai
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?
Re: Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison
In reply to wombat661, 5 months ago

direct weight comparisons wont be that drastically different but you do see some weight savings. individually? not a big issue. cumulative over the course of a day? yes you do feel the difference.

what about once you start packing more than 1 item? i can tell you that my small sling bag can carry my entire lense set, plus my backup camera. for a dslr, i need a bag twice as large in volume to do that. the bigger the pack gets, the more balance issues, the more pressure it puts on your frame, even if the weight isnt drastically different.

my advice is dont bother looking at charts. get your hands on these cameras and go for extended use with them. the difference in both bulk and weight becomes noticable very quickly.

even when comparing actual size on paper, it is not a big difference. however, put them on a table side by side. carry them around. the size difference becomes magnified.

the bag i use to carry a D5100 can take that 1 camera body and 1 zoom lense. maybe a pancake as well. that same bag can carry my OMD with lens, the 45, the 25, the kit zoom, 2 hoods, a tablet and 2 phones. the volume difference is enormous in practice. that volume also translates into diffiulty of carriage. on paper, no, not much difference at all.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow