Like?
Re: Correct
In reply to Steven Wandy, 3 weeks ago

Steven Wandy wrote:

tt321 wrote:

Steven Wandy wrote:

tt321 wrote:

Steven Wandy wrote:

So perhaps the OP's point - and yes I do realize that this is primarily a TECH forum - is valid. Too many people here do poo-poo the more aesthetic aspect of photography while bowing at the almighty alter of the technical aspects of current cameras and lenses. I have no issues or problem with his starting this discussion.

This is out of line, for me, with my understanding of the spirit and the name of the forum. People "poo-pooing the more aesthetic aspect of photography while bowing at the almighty altar of the technical aspects of cameras and lenses" are exactly at home in this forum and should not be denigrated in their home territory. I don't believe there are gear heads going into photography art forums to denigrate the photographer in favour of the gear, but if there were and if I read in a forum where this happened, this would be the exact same response I would have produced.

Why "out of line"? I admitted that this was a TECH FORUM and have accepted the fact that the vast majority of discussions/thread are of a TECH nature. But in my opinion the OP did not "denigrate" anyone, just pointed out that perhaps we are sometimes looking too much at the technical aspect of photography.

This is exactly what I am objecting to. Such opinions are best aired in other forums, for instance, in the very top forum 1018, than here at lowly 1041.

So I guess we will just continue to feel differently about what I think is the OP's intent with this thread.

You are probably wrong on this as I think I agree with you on what the OP's intent was, at least I fully agree that it is positive. I also probably agree with you on the value of the OP's posted photograph as a photograph - I think it's simply wonderful. However, neither of these is what I am talking about.

Why can't these types of opinions/thoughts be aired in a "techie" forum? He is not suggesting that is the only purpose for a photo - just something that perhaps we forget.

Because this is trying to sort out a higher level problem at a lower level venue. When people come here, a tech-focused forum, to discuss tech, it automatically means that they have already sorted out the higher level question of how to balance their care for tech with their care for other issues in the greater subject of photography, and if they "forget" because they were concentrating too much on the tech, then it is because the tech as a subject is supplying them with more enjoyment than the other issues that they forget and so much the better. Those who want to change their priorities and re-investigate higher level issues have other venues to turn to, where their opinions will receive the appropriate discussions.

This compartmentalization helps intellectual discourse. For instance, one of the very popular discussions in this forum has been focused on the subject of shutter shock. To others not caring too much about it, it might seem the guys are devoting a lot of effort on something trivial. There must be an urge to barge in and lecture them to step back and see the bigger picture - because this lecture has been done a number of times. This to me is totally out of context and incredibly and bizarrely condescending. If you have nothing technical to say about shutter shock, leave a shutter shock thread alone. The very fact that others are willing to invest effort in discussing it means it's worth discussing for them.

I fully understand that the "stepping back seeing the big picture readjusting one's priorities" topic is very worthy of discussion, but there are much better, and actually correct and appropriate, venues to discuss it in.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow