Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 18,052
Like?
Re: Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison
In reply to wombat661, 4 months ago

wombat661 wrote:

Per DXOMark, SL1 ISO performance is slightly better than E-M10, and will probably do focus tracking better than the A6000. So you give up some, but gain some. If you are into sports, then SL1 will likely be better. But, the ISO performance is indeed outdated compared with current cameras.

Don't know what kind of car you drive, but even my bottom of the line 7 year old car has a remote key, and it weights about 50g (1.8 oz) on the kitchen scale (remote with the key). So 1/3 lb is 5.3 oz, so is about 3 sets of remote and car keys. If your house key was .5oz, then 1/3 lb is about 10 keys, or 5 keys with a fancy keyring. BTW, just weighted a smallish apple (not big one). It weights 6 oz. That is one oz more than the difference between A6000 mirrorless and D5300 DSLR.

I think you're stuck on counting grams, but for many of us, the real difference is simply the size of these cameras.  For example, the Canon SL1, touted as being the world's smallest APS-C DSLR, is still larger than a FF mirrorless Sony A7.  I'll say it again, the world's smallest APS-C DSLR is still larger than a FF mirrorless camera...even with lenses mounted.  That just gives you a glympse of the size benefit that mirrorless can offer.  And we're still in the very early days of mirrorless cameras, too.  In a few years, we'll probably look back at today's mirrorless bodies as being rather primitive.  But already, we can certainly see the promise of mirrorless's size advantage.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow