T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,872
Like?
try both
In reply to wombat661, 2 months ago

wombat661 wrote:

Re: T3, Ontario Gone, neil holmes, P5freak, RaymonR

All of you bring out the Micro 4/3 as an example to compare against APS-C sized sensor DSLR. You will have no disagreement from me or anyone that going to a smaller sensor size will reduce the weight and size of the gear. Mainly is the lens size that will be smaller and lighter. That is very obvious from looking at the numbers. Bigger sensor gathers more light and requires bigger lens. Just to be sure, micro 4/3 is a good format for some conditions, but there is low light compromise and less bokhe for those that want more subject isolation.

I want to keep the APS-C advantage, and that is when you run into questions of why switch to mirrorless. Looking at the graphs again, there are some weight savings, but not that much. Sony A6000 is the closest match to DSLR for focus speed, but the savings is only 60g when compared with Canon SL1. Little more at 1/3 lb when compared with Nikon 5300. Car key and a bunch of coins would be 1/3 lbs. Skip the extra large at McDonalds will save that much too.

Fujifilm X-T1 is a higher end camera. From reading reviews, Fjuifilm normally does not focus too well on moving objects, and certainly not as good as A6000. Is 440g compared with 750g or so for a Nikon D7100 or Canon 70D equivalent that can guarantee to focus on moving subjects. There is 3/4lb of savings there, but lens will be the same weight. Fujifilm does not have any fast zoom lens. For low light, you then need to carry multiple fast primes lens. 3/4lb savings is a moderate savings then if you are carrying multiple lens. Looking at it quickly, 18mm and 27mm lens are very light at under 100g. Beyond that, at higher zoom range, prime lens seems about the same as DSLR. If you mainly use wide angle prime, and don't need focus tracking Fujifilm would be good.

I think you just need to try both.  That's what I did.  Only then can you see or realize the benefits of both, or the differences.   There are times when I prefer to use my DSLR gear (for very high volume shooting where long battery life is needed, and for the edge in AF that it offers), but there are times when I want the compact size of mirrorless (and yes, there really is a difference in size and weight...and I'm not just talking about m4/3).  In the mean time, you're just talking about hypotheticals, not first-hand experience.  You really need the first hand experience to understand.

For street and travel shooting, I don't need fast tracking of fast moving subjects.  I need something compact and unobtrusive.  That's when I absolutely prefer the smaller size of mirrorless.  But other times, when I need to shoot fast action, I use my DSLR gear with its big honkin' fast zooms.  However, carrying around a big, fast DSLR zoom makes you stick out like a sore thumb...not to mention that they are a pain to lug around for a long time.

Just try both before you make any judgement.  Get some first hand experience under your belt.  If I'm shooting a wedding, I'll take my DSLRs and big, fast DSLR zooms.  But if I'm going to take a trip, or take a walk down the street for some casual street photography, I much rather use a compact, slim mirrorless body, and its smaller, lighter, more compact lenses (zooms or primes).

Whether you use mirrorless gear or DSLR gear, these are all just tools, and some tools fit better for certain uses than others.  I think of DSLR gear as being equivalent to a laptop, while mirrorless gear is more like a tablet.  I don't always need to have the power, size, and weight of a laptop.  Sometimes, all I need or want is my iPad.  The same goes for DSLRs (laptop) vs mirrorless (tablet).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow