Would a PRIME lens give me better exposure with my XE1?

Started 2 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,757Gear list
Like?
Would a PRIME lens give me better exposure with my XE1?
2 weeks ago

I have a wedding shower coming up in a couple days, and I still need some help in mastering the XE1. Yes, I am asking for help, that's all, and i would appreciate any constructive advice.

I am trying to learn how to control highlights not blowing up so much, it is very difficult for me with the XE1, and it doesn't matter how i set the camera, the highlights and shadows are just not balanced.

I took my XE1 and my S5 a couple minutes ago. I did nothing fancy, just a quick comparison between the XE1 and my S5. Again, it doesn't matter how i set the XE1, auto or manual(I manually adjust aperture), changing metering modes, adjusting exposure, ISO, dynamic range, etc. etc. the XE1 just won't do it right.

BUT, i just thought about something, is it possible that a change of lens would make a big difference? Look at the two photos below. Both were shot in shutter priority and i let the cameras do the rest. Since i don't have a zoom on my S5 but the 1.8 35mm is hard for me to compare what the S5 would do with a zoom 2.8, but based on what i am seeing, the S5 would probably pick the 2.8 aperture in this situations.

No matter what i do, the XE1 just gets the exposure way too dark on my subject with a nicer looking background, or it goes to the extremes, it exposes my subject properly, but it blows up the highlights on the background.

Now my question is, if i had a prime lens on the XE1, would i get better results or would the camera still pick very low apertures? The S5 just gives me a much more balanced and pleasing image over all. Would the XE1 behave differently with a prime on it for better results than what i am getting with the 18-55 zoom?

These are all jpegs, and yes, i can shoot raw, but i go out a lot and i need to post these jpeg photos in facebook. What can i say, this is my life style plus i just love the wonderful jpegs, but those darn blown highlights are just killing me

I would appreciate your help with this, but if you are annoyed by this type of questions and don't want to participate i completely understand.

Thank you.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
ANSWER:
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow