Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,906Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, 5 months ago

EDIT -- to the OP, didn't see your most recent post so you can ignore me!  most folks do anyway.

Going back and reading the OP is an excellent idea. perhaps you should. the OP's point was that mirror less doesn't have a weight advantage. that point is demonstrably wrong when you take m4/3 into account. the OP cherry picked his comparison, ignoring bodies (for example, the E-P5) and lenses (the fast m4/3 primes and zooms) that convincingly show he was wrong. I agree the thread deteriorated and there have been lots of ancillary points, some good and some bad. the worst of the bad is those on either side that refuse to recognize the merit of the system they didn't choose (they nudge out the equivalence trolls). the best of the good is those who recognize different strokes for different folks. but none of the ancillary points change the fact that the original argument offered in the OP is wrong, wrong, wrong. some of us arguing the case that m4/3 has a decided weight and size advantage are not also arguing that going to m4/3 is all rainbows and unicorns. I knew I was making a IQ tradeoff (including the holy grail of equivalence) when I jumped from Nikon DX to m4/3 three years ago. picking the right camera is inherently a matter of making compromises. for what I shoot and how I shoot, m4/3 was more than good enough then and as the sensor technology and lens lineup improves, it is getting better. And while Nikon DX sensor tech is also improving, the native DX lens lineup sucks eggs and dawdles compared to m4/3. If I were an artist or a professional, I would certainly be shooting FF, maybe even medium format. but I am a hobbyist and by any measure an average photographer at best. but I was definitely right when I decided I could build the kit I wanted in m4/3 and that it would be both smaller and lighter than both Nikon DX and any FF system. for me some degree of convenience trumped having to have the best possible image quality gear (which quite frankly would have been wasted on me). I am OK with that.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow