Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
surfingringo
Contributing MemberPosts: 794
Like?
Help choosing a new camera
3 weeks ago

Hello all, I was hoping to get a bit of advice on choosing a new camera. I used to shoot quite a bit with canon dslr but after I sold my 5d and lenses a few years ago, I really haven't been involved in photography at all aside from what I've done with my iphone. Well, I have a big trip to the Amazon coming up with my father and we were discussing the idea of getting a new camera before that trip.

I am not interested in getting back into the world of dslr's but I want something relatively compact with good iq, and I would also like something capable of capturing some relatively shallow dof. I don't need a ff sensor with a 1.2 lens but I do want something significantly better than a compact with a 1/2.3 sensor. Full manual control is a must, however I'm not really into pp so I enjoy cameras with lots of in-camera options and filters, etc. As far as the lens, I obviously want as fast as possible and I'm more concerned with the wide end than telephoto.

I used to follow all the new gear really closely but now I am pretty much out of the loop on what's come out in the last year or two. A few cameras I have considered are the canon g1x mkII, the Sony rx100 mkIII, and possibly one of the mirrorless systems with a single fast zoom lens? (I don't care to get into the lens collecting game again!). At this point I am leaning toward the sony but I am open to advice and ideas. Thanks in advance for your help!

Eta, at, also, I rarely even use a computer anymore so something that works well with my ipad would be a plus.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow