Affordable setup for beginning bird photography?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Doug Aiien
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?
Re: Affordable setup for beginning bird photography?
In reply to orange dog, 1 month ago

Snowy Egret with 55-210mm lens

Olympus OMD-E5 with 55-300MM lens

Canon SX-40 bridge camera

Snowy Egret with Sony A6000 and 55-210mm lens

Orange dog,

Don't limit your choices. Virtually all modern cameras have more than sufficient resolution. The limiting factors are reach (lens) and mainly your ability. Cameras with small sensors will provide very good definition, maybe better than if you're using a longer lens than you have with a large sensor camera. My suggestion would be that you buy one of the excellent ~$400 long telephoto bridge cameras and learn bird photography with it and then move to something else when you can yourself evaluate the compromises involved with any choice.

I'm including 4 pictures from three different cameras which are all very good for bird photography, the Sony A6000 being the best for BIF. All three have the advantages of low weight. The Canon SX-40 is no longer in production, but many manufacturers make equally good or better bridge cameras. The learning curve on the Olympus OMD-E5 was pretty tough for me, and I think the Olympus OMD-E10 is a better value. The Sony A6000 is excellent for birds and so probably is the Nikon One, so read about it.

Doug

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carolinabutterflies/

Doug Aiien's gear list:Doug Aiien's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow