Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Johan Borg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869
Like?
Summertime: Quattrotime!
1 month ago

The temperature officially broke the 30C level in Oslo today, so I hang my DP2Q around my neck and pretend to be tourist in my home town. The in-camera JPEG engine of the DP2Q continues to amaze me, so I've had lots of fun playing with color modes and settings. RAW still offers cleaner sky and tons of dynamic range, but at least the RAW+JPEG option now truly makes sense (keep JPEGs if fine, develop RAW if needed).

The new Tone Control setting works wonders with clouds, you can almost emulate that wonderful detail a touch of X3F Fill Light helps create in SPP by setting it to "Strong".

OOC JPEG, Standard color mode, Strong Tone Control, Sharpness -1.0

Unfortunately, the same Tone Control also tends to smoothen texture a bit, so the stone in the below shot isn't as detailed as it could have been. Neutral Color Mode is more saturated than before and reminds more of the Standard mode in DP2M.

OOC JPEG, Neutral Color Mode, Strong Tone Control, Sharpness -1.0

The first two had Sharpness set to -1.0 and I think this last one would have benefited from the same treatment, 0 is a bit much. Forest Green color mode

OOC JPEG, Forest Green Color Mode

The Quattro may seem expensive compared to a Merrill on fire sale, but judging from the first week of use I'd still say it's a bargain when a camera like this is cheaper than a Sony RX100-III.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow