Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 3,098Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless caught in the middle - smaller, but not small enough
In reply to Greg A A, 5 months ago

Greg A A wrote:

Most people can carry a DSLR just as easy as an M43. The issue comes when you want a camera to put in your pocket. An M43 with lens just isn't small enough. A compact like an RX100iii is a much better complement to a DSLR. That's where I'll spend money for the next upgrade.

Exactly, there are some parameters you work around that give you a range of "acceptable" carry sizes rather than a strict linear scale (e.g. 300g might be better than 400g - but does anyone actually notice?).

1. Is your camera in your pocket? Yes -> RX100 is the max size; No -> You need a bag
  2. How big is your bag? Pouch -> RX1, bridge camera, GM1, etc. all qualify; medium sized bag: All others
  3. What's your tolerance carrying a medium sized bag? <1kg -> Stick to small cameras; >1kg ok you aren't a sissy, DSLRs will be fine

But if you look only at absolute weights you might be missing something you traded off (usually light) even though it would have made no effective difference in your kit weight.  I went from an APS-C mirrorless to FF mirrorless without any change at all in my camera bag or even noticing any significant inconvenience.  Is it heavier?  Yes.  Is the extra weight inconsequential? Yes. Did I benefit a whole lot from the bigger sensor in other ways? Yes.  So why worry that my A7 was bigger than my NEX-5N (especially once you fitted on the EVF, the size advantage vanished).

The funniest are the MFT fanatics who insist on their tiny cameras and lenses, but then find they need to carry 3 primes around with their f/2.8 zoom and a flash (just in case) just to get what one FF body + zoom will achieve without any thought.  MFT has an advantage in tele reach no question about it, but in normal FL there is zero advantage, especially once you understand equivalence. Some of that thinking is clearly still present when they tout their f2.8 zooms as if those are just as versatile as FF kit lenses (they're actually slower).

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow