Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison

Started Jul 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Old Listener
Old Listener Senior Member • Posts: 1,343
Re: Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison

wombat661 wrote:

For the camera, a light DSLR is not that much heavier than mirrorless APS-C. Not a huge amount of savings there as far as weight is concerned. See below.

This is my conclusion:

My DSLR is little heavy at close to a lb. However, going mirrorless is not going to save much weight at all. Just get a D5300 instead and use the same lens. Mirrorless camera might be thinner making it hard to grip, but weight is about the same just looking at the numbers.

Am I missing something or is something more to the weights comparison.

Your comparison may be relevant to your specific uses.  I did detailed comparisons between my Nikon DX gear and m43 gear for my uses and found weight savings that really mattered.  My comparisons:

Nikon D7000 + Sigma 150mm macro - 3.72 lb. for my macro/closeup setup. With a tripod and a grip head it is 9.46 lb.

Panasonic G6 + Olympus 60mm macro - 1.34 lb.  With a light head and tripod, just under 4 lbs.  With an even lighter tripod and head, the total is 3 lbs.

For a wildlife setup, the difference was even bigger.

Nikon D7000 + Nikon F4 300mm lens + 1.4x Teleconverter for wildlife pictures - 5.3 lbs.

G6 + 100-300mm lens - just under 2 lbs.

= = =

I agree that a D5x00 series body is effective in keeping the weight down.  However, the lenses may still be heavier than m43 equivalents.

My wife was using a Nikon D5000 + Tamron 90mm macro lens which weighed 2.1 lbs.  for closeup shots. I could have stolen her setup and foisted my heavier gear on her.  There wasn't an easy way out for the wildlife gear.  Her D5000 + Sigma 150-500mm lens was 5.4 lbs.

I chose to move to m43 systems for both of us.  Focus peaking and other EVF features have been as important as weight savings.

Old Listener's gear list:Old Listener's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow