Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Old Listener
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison
In reply to wombat661, 2 months ago

wombat661 wrote:

For the camera, a light DSLR is not that much heavier than mirrorless APS-C. Not a huge amount of savings there as far as weight is concerned. See below.

This is my conclusion:

My DSLR is little heavy at close to a lb. However, going mirrorless is not going to save much weight at all. Just get a D5300 instead and use the same lens. Mirrorless camera might be thinner making it hard to grip, but weight is about the same just looking at the numbers.

Am I missing something or is something more to the weights comparison.

Your comparison may be relevant to your specific uses.  I did detailed comparisons between my Nikon DX gear and m43 gear for my uses and found weight savings that really mattered.  My comparisons:

Nikon D7000 + Sigma 150mm macro - 3.72 lb. for my macro/closeup setup. With a tripod and a grip head it is 9.46 lb.

Panasonic G6 + Olympus 60mm macro - 1.34 lb.  With a light head and tripod, just under 4 lbs.  With an even lighter tripod and head, the total is 3 lbs.

For a wildlife setup, the difference was even bigger.

Nikon D7000 + Nikon F4 300mm lens + 1.4x Teleconverter for wildlife pictures - 5.3 lbs.

G6 + 100-300mm lens - just under 2 lbs.

= = =

I agree that a D5x00 series body is effective in keeping the weight down.  However, the lenses may still be heavier than m43 equivalents.

My wife was using a Nikon D5000 + Tamron 90mm macro lens which weighed 2.1 lbs.  for closeup shots. I could have stolen her setup and foisted my heavier gear on her.  There wasn't an easy way out for the wildlife gear.  Her D5000 + Sigma 150-500mm lens was 5.4 lbs.

I chose to move to m43 systems for both of us.  Focus peaking and other EVF features have been as important as weight savings.

Old Listener's gear list:Old Listener's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Nikon D5000 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow