Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,805Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison
In reply to RaymondR, 2 months ago

I did the research for you -- to get comparable focal lengths to my m4/3 prime kit and staying as fast as practicable (Panny 20 .7; Oly 45 1.8; and Oly 60mm macro 2.8), had I stayed with Nikon DX, here is what I could replace it with:

Nikon 28 f2.8 (efl 42 to the Panny's 40)

Tamron 60mm macro f2 (doubling as a portrait lens) (lighter than the Nikon 60 f2.8 micro or the new Nikon 58)

Tamron 90mm macro f2.8

The weight comparison:  100g vs. 330g, 116g vs. 400g and 186g vs. 550g.  So, all three m4/3 lenses weigh about what the Tamron 60 alone weighs and are about 150g less than the tamron 90.  This is weight comparison alone -- bulk and size wise the differences are comparably stark.

Add in the fast Oly standard zoom being only about 380grams (which you left off your chart), and that I forgot to mention that the Panny fast zoom for m4/3 (also not on your chart) is even lighter than the Oly, you shouild start to see why people tout the lighter/smaller aspects of mirrorless over DSLR.  The critical difference is in the lenses, not the bodies and your charts are, willfully or not, blind to that.

Add in that my Oly E-M10 allows me to control all exposure parameters with buttons and dials and not menu items and all of sudden to stay comparable I have to choose one of the larger Nikon DX options rather than the smaller ones, further amplifying the differences.

You can rationalize your choice based on your priorities.  If you need excellent low light performance, there is no reason for you not to stick with DSLRs if you like, but to dismiss like you do the weight/size factor that led many of us to mirrorless over cropped sensor DSLR is simply putting a blind eye to reality.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow