Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,622Gear list
Like?
Asking about SPP "biases"
5 months ago

Have you noticed the operation of the saturation slider in SPP when processing raws?

With my DP3M raws, I usually have the warnings box checked (in the histogram) and I noticed that if I move the saturation slider forward just one or two clicks the saturation warning comes on (blue areas) and seems to affect large areas of the image. And this is with color mode set to neutral in the camera.

I'm guessing SPP does some sort of pre-optimization of contrast and color before presenting the edit image. I've seen similar effects on my DP2(non-M) images too.

Here are two similar images, one from the DP2 (non-M) and one from the Fuji X-E1 with 23mm lens.  In my opinion the DP2 image is too harsh.  Eye-popping harsh.  The detail is there in the X-E1 image but the harshness is not.  Sorry about the white balance differences between these two images.

If you can give me some recommendations for SPP settings I think it will help me do a better job on my Sigma images.   Thanks!

DP2 (non-M) image, 1920x1080

Fuji X-E1 image with 23mm F1.4 lens, 1920x1080

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow