ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
systemguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 748Gear list
Like?
What tests would you do with a new D810
5 months ago

Hello

Sorry to ask a question this wide open.....but I am seeking advice.

Futureshop and Best Buy tell me that if their web site enables one to pre-order an item, then one  can pretty well count on getting it from the first batch (really?).  So I ordered it.

In any case, lets assume that for operational reasons, I have to buy a D810 without waiting for reports from users.  I am travelling overseas at the end of July and hence the reason for getting it ASAP.

If you were me, what tests would you do to check that it is working well and to know the camera to use it well?  The reason is to "know the camera" so that one can work within the limits.

I would, for instance:

(1) Check the actuation count?

(2) Just take pictures using all key focus scenarios and analyse them at a wide range of ISOs.

(3) Do a long time exposure of the night sky for instance.

(4) Do fine calibration of my holy trinity lenses for instance and see how the values compare with the D800.

(5) Do a slow shutter speed test with camera on tripod to gauge if there is any camera shake that may impact pictures.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

systemguy's gear list:systemguy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow