Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ShawnHoke
Contributing MemberPosts: 698
Like?
Re: Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison
In reply to T3, 3 months ago

T3 wrote:

wombat661 wrote:

Am I missing something or is something more to the weights comparison.

I think you need to use both systems on a regular basis to get a better feel for the real-world differences...While I do like having both DSLR gear and mirrorless gear, for day to day carrying and shooting, I always take my mirrorless gear. I save my DSLR gear for work. For personal shooting, I actually detest lugging around my DSLR gear-- too large, too bulky, too obvious. DSLR gear's size effects other things too. For example, the camera bag I use for my DSLR gear is twice the size of the camera bag I use for my mirrorless gear. And yes, when I lift each bag loaded up with equivalent gear, the weight difference is very noticeable. I don't mind carrying bulkier DSLR gear if I'm being paid to do so. But for personal shooting, I much prefer my lighter, more compact, less obtrusive mirrorless gear. Especially for things like travel and street photography.

If you can afford it, I think it's nice to have both mirrorless and DSLR gear. I really like having that choice. But if you can only afford one or the other, it just depends on what kind of shooting you do, and what your priorities are. Eventually, I'd love to dump all my DSLR gear, and go exclusively mirrorless. But mirrorless isn't quite there yet. So until then, I use both. Each has its pros and cons.

^This explains my recent change of heart.

I've always been a "FF Nikon or nothing" guy when it comes to digital cameras. I don't like to compromise. I use my DSLR for work and it's perfect for that. I also use a medium format Hasselblad and an 8x10 wooden view camera for personal work. I'm not averse to using big cameras and usually prefer them.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Adorama looking at the D800. While waiting for my camera guy I started playing around with the smaller mirrorless cameras. I tried the Fujis, the Olys, the Panasonics, and the Sonys. The only one that really clicked with me was the Sony a6000.

After doing some research, I ended up purchasing the a6000 (mainly for video work) a few days later. Oddly, I've found myself gravitating towards it for all personal stuff that I would use digital for. I've also started carrying it everywhere, because it's so small and light. When my wife and I used to go to the park, I wouldn't bring my DSLR, because it meant bringing my camera bag along with everything else on our 1.5 mile walk to the park. Now I just toss the a6000 in our blanket/beach towel bag and call it good.

It's more than weight, it's size. This isn't meant as a definitive comparison since everyone is different, but it's the one comparison that matters to me.

Size matters

Having the DSLR for work and the small mirrorless for everything else is a perfect combination for me.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow