Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,757
Like?
Conclusion does not follow data
In reply to wombat661, 5 months ago

I don't see that numbers bearing out the conclusion.

An A6000 is 285 grams. A D5300 is 479 grams. A D7100 is 765 grams. The A6000 is somewhere between the two in terms of controls and quality (probably closer to the D7100 overall). I'm really not sure how you'd call that 'not a huge savings' -- a D5300 is 1.7x as heavy, while a D7100 is about 2.7x as heavy.

Going for compact, though, I'd go with Olympus. It's smaller and lighter (much smaller, a little lighter). IBIS stabilizes my lenses (and in particular, fast primes), so overall low-light is quite competitive with larger sensors, at least for what I do.

Effectively, you save the weight of the mirrorbox and pentamirror/pentaprism. That's a big difference. Lenses are, of course, comparable. Does overall system weight change? It depends on the weight of the lenses. Shooting with a small prime, mirrorless will cream dSLR for weight. With a Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8, the total weight will be identical.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow