Are you smarter than a 55-300? For this Bigmos, the answer is no.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
capturef22
Senior MemberPosts: 2,525
Like?
Re: Lens underperforms, dropped and scratched, return it?
In reply to awaldram, 5 months ago

With regard to the Bigma, I'm more and more of a fan. Mind you I'm not a pixel-peeper. For the most part, I view photos as they're presented.

I bought my lens last spring and worked with it all last year. It led me to a new tripod and jr. gimbal head and I got good results with it, but that was clunky and cumbersome and I wanted more flexibility. Over the winter, I paid close attention to hints about using with the Sigma 500mm from brandrx, greyser and MightyMike. I've not have my lens on the tripod since, and most of my shots are 500mm, f/6.3. For what I do, I'm pleased. However, I don't even bother with that lens unless I've got good light.

Here's a few recent examples, all w/ K5II and heavily cropped:

1/800 sec; f/6.3; ISO 400

1/1600 sec; f/6.3; ISO 400

1/1000 sec.; f/6.3; ISO 400

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your lens. I'm really starting (now) to get the hang of mine and again, for my purposes, it suits me. I knew when I bought it I was buying a consumer lens and that it would not be of the highest quality. I have been disappointed with it (and myself) at times but working with it a bit and using it under what I consider to be optimal conditions, it gives me results I'm pleased with.

Good luck with your situation.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow