Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Pontoneer
Contributing MemberPosts: 878Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison
In reply to wombat661, 2 months ago

Weight and size were not major factors for me .

I bought my mirrorless camera ( Pentax K-01 ) as an upgrade over my Canon G11 compact , which was OK for general shooting in good daylight but poor in low light , and not as good as my DSLR's in any case . It was , and remains , a handy little camera to stick in a pocket or keep in the glovebox of the car , much as my Rollei 35S was back in the film days .

I bought the K-01 recently as the few remaining unsold ones can now be picked up for around £200 ( mine was an ex demo camera with full warranty from a main dealer ) , and got a DA 40mm Ltd f2.8 pancake lens to partner it . This combo is pocketable in an outdoor jacket pocket , if not smaller pockets ; being effectively a K-5 the IQ is much better than the G11 plus I can use all my existing K mount lenses , including my compact SMC-M primes , my Pentax-dedicated Metz flashes , and it uses the same batteries as my K-3 , for which it is a useful backup camera .

It probably weighs around the same as my *istD and is possibly about the same size - the main reason for getting it was , partly , the bargain price and partly that it just isn't a DSLR , so under some circumstances is more covert and attracts less attention since you look more like a casual shooter and not a 'pro' , which can sometimes be an advantage .
--
With kind regards

Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +37 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow