Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MediaArchivist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006Gear list
Like?
Sensor size?
In reply to wombat661, 2 months ago

I think sensor size matters more than mirror/mirrorless. Cameras with mirrors are FF or APS, mirrorless are 1", m4/3, APS, or FF. Smaller sensors can use smaller lenses.

Another way to examine the weight issue would be to look at look at somewhat more equivalent lenses, perhaps by third parties in addition to the camera manufacturers. For example, Sigma's lightest prime in their "DN" line is the 30mm F2.8 DN at 140g. Their lightest FF prime is the 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro at 320g. Looking at Samyang, their 7.5mm f/3.5 UMC Fish-eye (m4/3) is 175g while their APS/FF fisheye is 417g.

I don't know if those figures sway the weight difference enough to matter to you, but the overall trend is that mirrorless cameras are smaller and lighter— and certainly there are more options for going small and light. I use a FF camera replete with a VG and usually have a couple of FF lenses with me. There are more than a few occasions where I have wished for a smaller and lighter rig! The E-mount and m4/3 offerings are compelling.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow