Does ViewNX 2 do destructive editing of NEF files?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Julian Vrieslander
Contributing MemberPosts: 933
Like?
Does ViewNX 2 do destructive editing of NEF files?
1 month ago

I thought it did not, but now I am not sure.

Most of the time I process D800E raw files with Bridge and Photoshop CS6. But occasionally, I use ViewNX 2 because it is faster for browsing and previewing a new set of images (at least it is on my creaky old 2006 Mac Pro).

Last night I was doing that, and after I closed the app, I discovered that one of the NEF files had been cropped. The original was 7360x4912 and 50.4MB, but it had been trimmed to 6720x3776 and 38.7MB. As luck would have it, this was one of the best shots of the set. Fortunately, I was able to recover the original file from the card.

I did not intentionally edit that file. I was just using ViewNX 2 navigation commands to browse through a folder. Perhaps I hit a key chord accidentally to trigger the crop. It seems that the NEF file was permanently altered. Can someone explain what happened? Can ViewNX 2 permanently delete image data from NEF files? Or was this some sort of weird bug?

I was using ViewNX 2 version 2.9.1 on Mac OS X 10.7.5.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow