Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wombat661
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison
4 months ago

In almost every conversation, it is always brought up that Mirrorless is lighter than DSLR. You can save weight by going mirrorless. Quick search of the forum will show many such advise. I have always consider mirrorless to replace DSLR as well. With the fast focus Sony a6000, seems like the gap is closing.

I have been looking closely at a mirrorless APS-C system, and how much lighter they are. Micro 4/3 are definitely small, but they are just lacking for low light situation that I find myself in. In the last two weeks, one was at a dance, and another at an aquarium. Not happy with the high ISO pictures. If you have remote flash and possibly reflectors and an assistant, you can make a beautiful picture, but I don't want to go thru that effort in those particular situations.

Here are two graphs that shows the weight comparison: Source .

For the camera, a light DSLR is not that much heavier than mirrorless APS-C. Not a huge amount of savings there as far as weight is concerned. See below.

Mirrorless vs DSLR Weight Comparison

Lens:

For the fast f2.8 mid range zoom weight are about the same for Mirrorless and DSLR. That is what I typically use. Nothing gained there. The only exception is for the slower 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 where mirrorless is half the weight. However, if you compare the exact zoom range of 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, the mirrorless lens is exactly the same as DSLR lens. There are no difference unless you count the worst case 40g (about the weight of my car keys) as difference.

Note that for tele zoom that goes up to 200mm, there is also minimal weight difference also.

Mirrorless Lens vs DSLR Lens Weight Comparison

This is my conclusion:

My DSLR is little heavy at close to a lb. However, going mirrorless is not going to save much weight at all. Just get a D5300 instead and use the same lens. Mirrorless camera might be thinner making it hard to grip, but weight is about the same just looking at the numbers.

Am I missing something or is something more to the weights comparison.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow