Are we a bit misdirected?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,101Gear list
Like?
Re: Are we a bit misdirected?
In reply to Gray Drake, 5 months ago

I've been taking nice photos for over 60 years. At first, I took them with a little twin lens box camera (the Kodak Duaflex) and got a few shots that kept me coming back. Most were awful, but a few were darned good and I still have some of them.

As I gained experience, I also progressed to better equipment. My "keeper" rate improved for both reasons. By the time I was in my 20s, I was more than an advanced amateur, having had photography courses in college and in the Army. I bought a Nikon F outfit and took even more good photos more frequently. I even sold some and became a bit of a semi-pro, especially in portrait and product photography ( I have a website about that).

And so on, until digital cameras got "good enough" to replace film for me. Somewhere around 2003, I got a decent DSLR and since then have an explosion of "keepers," as my skill set and my equipment both peaked.

But inside, is the same 12-year-old kid who looked down into the tiny finder of that Duaflex and said to himself, "I bet this would make a good photo."

You just saw that in your daughter's photo. Pretty neat, eh?

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretsky

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow