Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cfrizzle
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
I'm about done with this Pentax K7....
3 months ago

Not a regular poster here, but figured you all would have the experience and knowledge to help me find my next camera (or just keep truckin' with what I've got).

I bought my K7 in 2009, after learning how to shoot using a Pentax K1000 that my dad bought in the early 80s. I LOVED that old film camera. It's fully manual set up made me learn the hard way how to expose and compose a shot. So, when I made the switch to dSLR, I stayed with the Pentax brand out of loyalty and the promise that my old K-mount lenses would fit on the K7. I also loved the idea of HD video with shallow depth of field (which my iPhone and point & shoot cameras can't capture).

Well, with all the automation of a dSLR, I quickly grew tired of manually setting my film lenses...plus my film 50mm 1.4 lens was now acting more like a 80mm lens on the smaller sensor of the K7. I ended up buying a sweet 50mm digital lens for my K7, anyway.

Then, a few years later, the audio went out on the K7. It was never great, but then it was pretty much nonexistent. I ended up shelling out big bucks to have it fixed. And now it's back to going downhill again. I am so sick of the audio going bad on this camera!

On top of all that, I had a baby and now have pretty much zero desire or time to pull that big camera out except for special occasions. It's really hard to shoot with a dSLR and play with a toddler. So, I mostly shoot day to day pics & video with my iPhone 5, which, by the way, has beautiful sunny day video and pictures.

My sister has a Nikon D3100, which I played around with at a wedding she was shooting for some family. And it had the MOST AMAZING night time shooting mode. We got the best stuff of people dancing in weird lighting using on camera flash. Some of the other options on it seemed limited compared to my K7, but those dance floor shots have me looking towards other brands now.

All of this, is to give you some background as I posit this question:

Do I just suck it up and stick with the K7 with bad sound? Or do I start looking at Nikon for different entry level dSLR?

OR do I go completely radical and get one of those lenses you pop on your iPhone and sell all my dSLR stuff on eBay?

Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow