Are we a bit misdirected?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Gray Drake
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
Re: Are we a bit misdirected?
In reply to Gray Drake, 3 months ago

Gray Drake wrote:

Just a comment about photo quality and it's ability to capture the reality/beauty/emotion of a moment in time. We spend most of our time here (including me) with assessments of the technical marvels of our cameras and our skill with editing.

After looking at this photo taken by my daughter (which I captured off her facebook page), I again humbly realize the effectiveness of the delivery of the essence of the moment to the viewer of the photo has little to do with the technical capability of our equipment or our skill at the computer

Drake

Some missed the point here, I am at the center of my comments.  I spent a buck or two on a system, spend time in the field on composition, sit at the computer to improve results, zoom in to check my IQ and sit back to admire the results of my efforts.  Then I run across a photo that has none of the technical characteristics I seek, but I still conclude WOW this is really a photo I would like to have taken.

There are photos on Flickr, etc that I would love to have authored for technical reasons, and others for content reasons.  I certainly envy the technical skills of many/most, but it is the passion of the moment in landscapes to portraits that will kick me out of the chair tomorrow to capture something exciting.  It is certainly wonderful if these are also technically superb, but for me it is not necessary.

Drake

Gray Drake's gear list:Gray Drake's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow