Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,499
Like?
ISO 25600 5D3 vs A7R using DxO PRIME noise reduction
3 weeks ago

You may have seen the comparison that DPR did between the A7S, A7R, and 5D3 at ISO 25600.  It is over on the right side of the page right now, or here is the link:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4613822764/high-iso-compared-sony-a7s-vs-a7r-vs-canon-eos-5d-iii

While reading that, I wondered what the comparison would look like if the RAW files were run through DxO PRIME noise reduction.  So I did it, and here it is.  The A7S is not supported by DxO yet, so the comparison is limited to the A7R vs 5D3.  The settings were made the same for both cameras, except white balance, which was set to "as shot", but varied.  The settings are close to defaults, but I set Exposure Compensation manually both to -0.5, since the defaults differed slightly.  PRIME luminance correction of 40 was used, which is the default, and the default setting of -0.5 for Lens Softness was also used.  A snapshot of the settings is included at the end.

I exported to JPEG at 3200 pixels on the long side, 100% quality, no sharpening.  Why did I pick that size?  Well, it is at the upper end of what I usually post online, mainly.  I think it is clear that if you don't print large, the 36MP advantage of the A7R is mostly wasted.  The only difference I can see is the arches at the Science Center next to the Space Needle are a little brighter.

And, as they say, if you don't agree with the way I did things, you can download the RAW files from the link posted above and do your own comparison.  

A7R ISO 25600 with DxO PRIME (DPR High ISO Comparison Image)

5D3 ISO 25600 with DxO PRIME (DPR High ISO Comparison Image)

DxO settings applied to both pictures

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow