Bought a Sony HVL-F60M, sending it back. Advice needed!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,469Gear list
Like?
Re: Bought a Sony HVL-F60M, sending it back. Advice needed!
In reply to Stefr, 5 months ago

Stefr wrote:

After long consideration I've ordered a Sony HVL-F60M, I received the unit today. Unfortunately I've just found out that the internal flash is not able to trigger the flash wireless! This is a deal-breaker for me! This was even a feature on my old Alpha 100, why did you remove this Sony? Since the HVL-F60M is using the new multi interface shoe I don't think there are many options to make it work with a third party remote system. Also I'm out of budget right now due to this expensive flash.

Luckily I'm able to return the unit and get a refund. But I'm still dissapointed

I think I will be better off with a Metz Mecablitz 52 AF-1 (Sony) and the ADP-MAA adapter to make it work on the A6000. I know that there will be a version of this flash with the multi interface unit, but there is no date and could take a long time before it will be available. Also I think this version is more compatible with third party flash trigger systems (is it?) since it's not using the new multi interface shoe.

Here are my questions:

1. Anyone using a Metz Mecablitz 52 AF-1 (Sony) and the ADP-MAA adapter on an A6000?

2. What wireless trigger system is advised with this combo. Also keep in mind that I will add some 'cheap' universal manual flashes (i'm thinking Yongnuo YN560-III) in the future to this setting.

Hope someone can help me out!

PS. I failed to mention that I would like to use my flash on-camera AND off-camera.

See some info in these two links:

If you want a cable connection, the Sony FA-CS1M will enable this for $50.

For most applications, the Sony HVL-F20M/AM (retail $150) is your best bet - it also is a useful travel flash.

There are third party applications that cover the same (infrared) trigger function - some support TTL only, others support TTL+HSS.

And then there are plenty of non-TTL radio trigger solutions available. Useful for studio work, not so for outdoors (changing light) multi-flash setups.

The newer flash units (Metz, Yongnuo, etc.) support Sony's native ISO shoe with TTL, and some with HSS. But again, this is on-camera, you would need either a cable or a radio trigger to make this available off-camera.

I have two different setups (HVL-F20M + 2x HVL-F43M and cowboy-trigger with non-TTL flashes) and these are not compatible with one another (although I can use the F43M in non-TTL mode on a cowboy adapter - the F20M will not work in this mode).

I recommend getting the F20M as your radio trigger - it supports TTL and HSS with the sony flash units.

Some other links:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow