Offensive pictures? Your views appreciated.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,668
Like?
Offensive pictures? Your views appreciated.
1 month ago

I published the following post last week. Towards the end of the life of the post I received a response accusing me of voyeurism. While I am happy, if requested, to defend each of the shots in terms of its photographic qualities, I would appreciate responses to not just my shots but to such shots in general, from others re the ethics. Anyone care to comment? I also twice tried to contact the person whose original reply initiated this. I asked for their permission to repost their post and said if I didn't get an objection, I would proceed. I received no reply. Accordingly I have attached the response following my original post but have deleted the name of the person.

The original post.

Most of these were shot from the hip without raising the camera and then later cropped. I get a lot of misses this way but I don't like intruding on strangers too much by pointing cameras at them. In the case of the card players, I chatted to the men for a while before asking permission to take the shot.

Full gallery under travel at

http://mfewster.smugmug.com/

Palermo. Monreale.

Woman in ferry. Burano. Italy

Ortygia/Syracusa. Italy

Nota. Italy

Peggy Guggenheim Museum,Venice

Card players. Brisighella. Italy.

This is the response I received.

There isn't anything interesting about those pictures, but they do raise the ethical questions.

Unfortunately, with the proliferation of the digital cameras all over the world this sort of voyeurism became a common occurrence on the streets.

View: original size--

Name of person making this post removed.

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow