Are my images Green?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,726Gear list
Like?
Re: US Web Coated. Oops
In reply to Robin Casady, 5 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

Which is why I mainly just work in sRGB unless I have a good reason. Less chance of posterization, I can view the whole color space on my monitor, I know it fits inside my printer profile. It really just makes life a lot less complex, a LOT less likely for me to bone head and have some color setting wrong and majorly screw up etc. Any major color adjustments, I revert back to the RAW file so the color space is defined as the RAW file is "baked".

Do you have a method for testing whether an image is within sRGB before deciding how to render it? Or, is it just seat-of-the-pants by how bright the colors look?

Seat of the pants. It's sorta like exposure, after years of doing it I can pretty much guess what the meter is going to say or what ISO I'm going to need.

And really, it's pretty rare the change in the final print will be huge printing from aRGB rather than sRGB. My style of photography isn't super saturated colors, for the most part anyway. For the shots that are, I end up having to play with this stuff, which adds a lot of time to the PP of the image.

So, you try it in sRGB and then do over if it seems wrong?

I use sRGB unless I have a special image with saturated colors. Then, if I am going to print it, I work in aRGB. It's just what I have found works for me.

I do a lot of event photography and sometimes have dozens of images to deal with after an event. Or do what I call "mass portraits" for something like a church directory, where I shoot head shots of 100+ people. I'm not interested in processing RAW files and playing with color spaces when I know the WB is right and (hopefully) just need to crop and print. I want close OOC jpegs and have spent time dialing in the picture control and camera combo for the situation so the OOC jpegs are very close. Nothing will be outside of sRGB so why add that complexity to the process.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow