Are my images Green?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,686Gear list
Like?
Re: US Web Coated. Oops
In reply to Robin Casady, 5 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

Since so many pundits say to edit big and convert I'd like to try and get a handle on the pros and cons of that.

And I'm not using lightroom myself so this is just what I gathered from this thread. It uses proRGB as the "working" color space but it uses perceptual intent to the monitor profile for viewing. The color space you "see" in controlled by the gamut of your monitor profile. You aren't "seeing" proRGB. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the edits you are making as some would be outside the gamut of the monitor.

When you set a working color space in PS that is larger than your monitor, you -won't see- the colors outside of your monitor gamut, as it isn't rendering the image to your monitor profile for viewing. You would have to set the proof device to your monitor profile and check gamut warnings or else proof with your monitor profile to see what is really going on. Editing blind is never a good thing. For people using PS elements etc, I'm not sure there even is the proofing and gamut warnings available.

Which is why I mainly just work in sRGB unless I have a good reason. Less chance of posterization, I can view the whole color space on my monitor, I know it fits inside my printer profile. It really just makes life a lot less complex, a LOT less likely for me to bone head and have some color setting wrong and majorly screw up etc. Any major color adjustments, I revert back to the RAW file so the color space is defined as the RAW file is "baked".

And really, it's pretty rare the change in the final print will be huge printing from aRGB rather than sRGB. My style of photography isn't super saturated colors, for the most part anyway. For the shots that are, I end up having to play with this stuff, which adds a lot of time to the PP of the image.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow